If you’re looking for a quick, easy and delicious keto-friendly spinach and cheese stuffed chicken recipe, you’re in the right place!
Rena is a mother of 5. She figured out how to balance her busy family life with a healthy lifestyle, while being able to earn money. Her passion for living a healthy lifestyle, especially through food, was turned into a successful company called Healthy Fitness Meals. She shares her delicious and healthy fitness meals and recipes on her Instagram page and website.
Here, Rena has shared her keto-friendly recipe for spinach and cheese stuffed chicken. This recipe is high in protein, low in carbohydrates and only 330 calories per serving.
She says that when it comes to a nutritious weeknight meal, this spinach and cheese stuffed chicken recipe is perfect. It’s quick and simple, with the whole process consisting of deliciously seasoned chicken breast being loaded with a creamy ricotta filling and fired into the oven.
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes or to your taste
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt divided
- 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 4 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 4 ounces Grated Mozzarella
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1½ cups Chopped Fresh Spinach steamed just until wilted, squeezed dry with paper towels and chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
Spinach and cheese chicken recipe
Here is the method to make this spinach and cheese chicken recipe:
- Chicken Breasts: Make sure that it is boneless and skinless. If you can, go for organic/free-range.
- Seasoning: A blend of Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Add to your taste.
- Cheese: Use a mix of ricotta, mozzarella, and cheddar if you can. Ideally, grate your own as pre-grated doesn’t melt as well.
- Olive Oil
- Spinach: Steam it until it’s just wilted, then squeeze dry with paper.
- Garlic: Freshly minced will work the best.
- Salt: Divided.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) and grease 9×13 baking dish with some oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 tsp. of salt, Make sure you mix it well and set aside.
- Put the chicken breast on a chopping board and carefully insert the tip of a sharp knife into the thickest part of the chicken breast. Cut an opening about 4 inches wide to create a pocket without cutting all the way through the breast.
- Pour the prepared seasoning all over the chicken breast and using your clean hands generously rub on all sides and inside of the pocket. Refrigerate and let it marinate for 1 hour or longer if needed.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the cheese filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, spinach, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then mix until well combined.
- Remove the chicken breast from the refrigerator and stuff each breast with the cheese mixture. You can use toothpicks to secure the pockets if needed.
- Place the stuffed breast into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes until chicken is nicely golden brown, flipping halfway through to ensure even browning. Alternatively, you can cook it on the stovetop.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve warm. Enjoy!
- Rena says that either fresh or frozen spinach is fine, as long as you make sure to drain off the water.
- You can use different cheese if you like, but make sure that it’s melty! Swiss cheese would work as well as feta.
- Allow your chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, but you can take it out quicker.
Spinach and cheese stuffed chicken nutrition
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 918mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 847IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 305mg | Iron: 1mg
This article first appeared on GYMNASIUMPOST.com on 18th May, 2020.